Thursday, January 27, 2011

Niqab Inquiry

I liked this post so much masha'Allah on Ummi of Aami's blog that I copied it but changed the questions about hijab into niqab.

1. How old were you when you started wearing the niqab?

I was just shy of turning 20.

2. What or who influenced you to become a niqabi?

I had been in Egypt for about 3 months and I admired the women in the street wearing niqab. Masha'Allah they looked so pious and respectful and beautiful that it made me want to research niqab in Islam. I took to the books and the internet and found wonderful information about how it is mustahab (pleasing to Allah) and part of the Sunnah. So I prayed istikhara (asking guidance in a matter from Allah) if it was meant for me. I had been reading my English translation of the Quran, it was on my bed, and (no joke) when I came back to it, a breeze blew some pages so that the first thing I saw was Surah Al-Azhab, ayat 59 "O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to bring down over themselves [part] of their outer garments. That is more suitable that they will be known and not be abused. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful." I took this as a sign that I was ready for niqab, alhamdulillah.


3. How has niqab changed your life?

Alhamdulillah, it makes me more confident when I wear it. I feel protected, and I feel that when people listen to me, they're really listening to what I have to say, not examining what I'm wearing, or how I look.

4. What does niqab mean to you?

It means modesty in all ways, not just covering my face, but thinking before I speak, about how I deal with people, and reminding me of Allah SWT so I behave in a way becoming of a modest muslim woman, insha'Allah.

5. How do you deal with the rude comments/stares you get due to being a niqabi?

Alhamdulillah, I'm not a person to notice other people, especially watching their reaction to me. I may be a bit oblivious, LOL. I try to concentrate on what I'm doing and that's it, but I know people look and comment. When I was back in America, I had one instance where I was in the grocery store and a little girl and her brother were running through the aisles, and when the girl saw me, she stopped dead in her tracks opened-mouthed and shouted so seriously, "LOOK! It's a real LIVE NINJA!"

6. What is your favorite thing about wearing the niqab?

I love how it makes me feel nearer to Allah (SWT). Keeping Allah on my mind.

7. What is your niqab must have accessory?

A little black pair of gloves, with embroidered flowers on them :)

8. What advice could you give a newbie niqabi?

Try not to take any negativity to heart. Remember, it's Allah's opinion of you that counts, perhaps your commitment to niqab will be that little thing that tips the scales on the Judgment Day.

9. What is one niqab trend you never understood?

I don't understand niqab being used as fashion, with full eye makeup, exposing the entire forehead, etc. It's ok for playing around with your husband, but niqab in the presence of non-mahrams is supposed to be more concealing, not inviting fitnah. Of course I say this to myself before anyone else. May Allah forgive us and guide us all to His straight path, Ameen.

10. What question do you get asked the most due to wearing the niqab?

A lot of people ask me why? And then tell me I don't HAVE to do it, hijab is sufficient. I say to them, what is sufficient for one woman, may not be sufficient for another, and if I have the ability to do more, for the sake of Allah, then I want to. May Allah accept it from me, insha'Allah.

2 comments:

  1. Masha'Allah sis, beautiful and moving. :-) May Allah bless you and your family, amin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assalamu alaikom ukthi fillah

    Love this post masha Allah, may Allah bless you , amen
    nafisah, malaysia

    ReplyDelete