Monday, May 10, 2010

Recipe Time! Authentic Egyptian Molokhia!

Alright sistas, (rolling up sleeves), here we go. My first recipe post. I wanted to post molokhia for 2 reasons, #1 I've looked online and been fairly disappointed with the molokhia recipes I've found. I feel like most of them inclued too many ingredients and not enough explanation on technique. #2 It's one of like 3 recipes my egyptian in-laws actually ask ME to make. Subhan Allah, I'm no chef, but I do love some molokhia, so I hope you'll try this and let me know how it goes. :) Bismillah Arrahman Arraheem

First you'll need:

Molokhia (frozen - probably find it at your local halal market 1 pkg for you and hubs, 2 pkgs for a family)
chicken stock (2-3 cups or 3-4 cups explaination below)
garlic (anywhere from 2-3 cloves to half a head)
ground corriander (abt 2 TBLspns)
oil or butter or ghee your preference

***note, I know this is silly but I cook this by feel, so bear with me on the measurements. Usually, I boil a chicken with an onion, some mastic grains, and habahan (cloves I think? man I'm forgetting my english), and a tomato, then fry it while I'm making the molokhia, HOWEVER, some water with a couple bullion work just as well)***

Usually you want to take the molokhia out of the freezer in the morning, so by dinnertime it's thawed, but if you're a last-minute-Lucy like I am, you can just pound it with a meat tenderizer (or slam it into the butcher block a few times -while still in the bag) to break it into chunks, it'll make it melt more easily in the chicken stock and save you a headache)
Ok so start with your chicken stock, or meat stock, or, water with bullion, bring it to a boil in a pot.
While it's boiling, chop, press, or grate your garlic, or put it in a food processor (with the corriander)- 3 big cloves for one pk, 4-6 for 2, (I like it garlicky!) Then, take a tblspoon of your butter, oil or ghee and fry the garlic with the corriander in a pan, until the smell wofts into your livingroom (abt 2 minutes) mmmmmmm set aside.
Ok, got your stock boiled? This is the part everyone leaves out so listen up! IF YOU WANT YOUR MOLOKHIA THICK AND GELATINOUS YOU HAVE TO ADD THE STOCK LITTLE BY LITTLE!!! No one told me this, I had to learn it by watching...oh the meals that were wasted! Here's the deal, if you put too much stock up front, the molokhia will separate and sink, which can also happen if you boil it too long. So, take a different pot and put only a little of the boiling stock in it (like a ladle or 2 ONLY), then add the molokhia straight from the pk to the pot, and stir it until it melds into the stock and becomes thick, THEN you can slowly add more stock until it's to your desired thickness. (Keep in mind, 1 pk will probably only need about 2-2 1/2 cups of stock, while 2 pks will take about 4) Just don't overdo it.
*TIP* Stir like the bedouins do! To stir it without spillage, take your ladle and make the bottom of the rounded part touch the bottom of the pot, and stir really fast, you'll look cool and authentic, and if you do it right there will be no splashing insha'Allah** hehehe

Once your molokhia is a good thickness, go ahead and dump in the garlic and corriander. (the egyptians gasp when they do this, they say you have to "scare the molokhia" lol) stir it around a bit on low heat, then add salt to taste, and a squeeze of lemon juice for a finishing touch. There, you've made molokhia!!
Usually it's eaten over rice, but I prefer to toast some pita bread in the oven and fry some hot peppers on the side, and dip! Hope you like it! Salam Walaykum!!!

6 comments:

  1. A'salaamu alaikum ya ukhti! I wanted to thank you for your insightful and balanced response to the "anon" on my blog. Her first comments on my post were very aggressive and negative; I even had to deny posting one because it was derogatory about the Prophet Muhammad saws. So I am afraid I lost my ability to respond to her in an unbiased and beneficial manner.

    Jazaki allahu khair, sis... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asalamu A'laikum Sis, I am loving your blogs, and its werid because I see you comment on the blogs I like such Umm Aaminah's blog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for such an authentic recipe; it tastes just like mom's! I just added fresh coriander to the garlic and dried coriander; it gives it additional flavor I think. Jazaki Allah Khair

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wayakum! Jazak Allahu Khair for trying the recipe! I'm so happy you liked it Alhamdulillah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the great recipe! I ate this years ago in Palestine, and I've been looking online to fine a good recipe. Tonight I will cook it for Iftar for my Arab friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're more than welcome, thanks for trying it out! I really hope you and your friends enjoy it, insha'Allah! :-D

    ReplyDelete